Overrated

>> Friday, November 27, 2009

The Guardian published the NME's list of the best 50 albums of the last decade a few days ago, and I've been meaning to comment.


The Strokes are over-rated -- they were highly derivative, rather like Beck was highly derivative ten years prior. My favorite band of the last five to six years is easily The Libertines, and while I think they deserve their spot in the rankings, a mate of mine commented down the pub last night that Karl, Pete, et al. owe a lot to the Strokes, which pretty much put me in my place.

So I guess I'm left with bitching about this. Third? When the Monkeys came out a couple years back, they were heralded as the next big thing. They weren't. Highly over-rated, and just not that interesting, and more critically, they didn't advance pop music one millimeter.

Discuss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP